Do mouthwashes help in preventing gum disease?

Although mouthwashes help in reducing bacteria, it should only be considered an adjunct to those wanting a “perfect” clean or a fresh breath afterwards. If thorough brushing and flossing removes 98% of plaque in the mouth, mouthwashes will only help destroy the remaining 2% of bacteria to give that “perfect” clean. The use of mouthwash by itself, to replace brushing and flossing altogether is therefore not recommended.